Poppy Seed Lemon Chiffon Cake
2.12 oz (60 grams) poppy seeds
1/2 cup warm milk (or wine)
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
5 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
Juice of one small lemon (or 2 tablespoons of brandy)
Zest of one small lemon
1 cup flour
1/2 cup self rising flour
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup canola oil
5 eggs whites
1/2 cup sugar
Glaze ingredients: (optional)
1 cup confectioners sugar (powdered sugar)
2 tablespoons plus lemon juice
Confectioners sugar for dusting
1. in a small bowl pour milk over poppy seeds and let sit for 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl add 3/4 cups sugar, 5 egg yolks, juice and zest of lemon, vanilla and a pinch of salt. Beat for few minutes until mixture is fluffy.
3. Add 1/2 cup of oil to egg yolk mixture while continually beating.
4. Add both flours and mix until smooth, add poppy seed/milk mixture.
4. In a separate bowl beat egg white until they start getting volume, add sugar in few increments, while keep beating on high until it peaks.
5. Fold egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture in gentle folds with a rubber spatula until well combined.
6. Grease a round cake pan or a bundt pan, dust greased pan with some flour. turn pan upside down and tap excess flour out.
7. Pour batter into pan and bake in a pre heated oven for 50-60 minutes. Insert a skewer to test for doneness. Skewer should come out clean. Do not open oven mid-way or the batter will 'fall'.
8. Let completely cool in the pan. Gently release at the edged with a knife. On a serving plate turn the pan upside down and tap bottom of the pan. the cake should release into serving plate easily.
In a small bowl add confectioners sugar and lemon juice, mix. Add more lemon juice for desired consistency for glazing. Keep in mind it has to be pretty thick consistency otherwise the glaze will be absorbed by the cake like a sponge.
I usually just dust the cake with confectioners sugar, but the glaze is delicious and pretty.