1/2 cup sugar
5 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
Juice of one small lemon
Zest of one small lemon
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup orange or orange tangerine juice
1 cup flour
1/2 cup self rising flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
1/4 cup sugar
5 eggs whites
1/2 cup sugar
Margarine or canola oil for greasing bundt pan
flour to dust greased cake pan
Confectioners sugar for dusting
1. In a large bowl add 1/2 cups sugar, five egg yolks and 1/2 cup of oil and beat until fluffy. Fold in with a rubber spatula lemon juice, zest of lemon and vanilla.
2. Mix dry ingredients: Both flours, salt and baking powder in a bowl and fold into egg yolk mixture gently. Add orange juice and fold in gently with rubber spatula.
3. Toss diced apples immediately after dicing with 1/4 cup of the sugar. Add apples to mixture above.
4. In a separate bowl beat egg white until they start getting volume, add sugar in few increments, while keep beating on high until it peaks.
5. Fold egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture in gentle folds with a rubber spatula until well combined.
6. Grease a round cake pan or a bundt pan, dust greased pan with some flour. turn pan upside down and tap excess flour out.
7. Pour batter into pan and bake in a pre heated 350F oven for 50-60 minutes. Insert a skewer to test for doneness. Skewer should come out clean. Do not open oven mid-way or the batter will 'fall'.
8. Let the cake completely cool in the pan. Gently release at the edged with a knife. On a serving plate turn the pan upside down and tap bottom of the pan. The cake should release into serving plate easily.
9. Dust with confectioners sugar if desired.